Monday, November 15, 2010

Becoming a Better Teacher

Lately I have been thinking quite a bit about becoming a better teacher. I am always interested in ways to improve and feel that that is necessary in my line of work, if we are standing still, we are sliding backwards. But as of late I have felt an extra urge to improve myself as a teacher. I realize as a relatively new teacher that there is still so much I have to learn, and so many ways that I can improve. The only problem, is that often those methods required to be a better teacher are difficult. As with most things, the things worth doing require more work.

Not that I am opposed to doing more work, even though my life is extremely busy right now. I don't even know how I have the time to get done what I do, and I feel like I'm always falling behind in something. But it is hard to change, especially when the task looks so daunting. I have found one way that I can change, that is relatively easy and doesn't require to much work. I can improve my teaching by just making myself more available to students. Whether its being more involved during class as they are working on an assignment so that I can help and answer questions, or making myself more available to students to get help or make things up before or after school or during lunch. I think that as I become more involved with the students it will show them that I really care and want them to succeed. It will also help to keep them from getting frustrated with difficult task or assignments.

So this is what I'm going to work on for now. I'm sure I'll try other things later to improve my teaching, but this seems like a good place to start.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Ray,
    You're right, becoming a better teacher is constant work, and anything worthwhile in this world requires work. I admire your willingness to make the effort. Getting to know my students is the thing I miss most about being in a classroom. (I am in a district office position right now.) When I meet with teachers and ask them about their students, I am shocked and depressed that they know so little. How do you know how to motivate them? Access prior knowledge with them? Make use of prior experiences with them? How do you know how to make learning meaningful for them if you don't know them as people? I'm so glad you are going to start by making yourself more available to them. Hopefully, what you learn about them will help you help them. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teaching is definitely difficult, and sometimes can be time consuming and overwhelming. I think the majority of people who become teachers do it because they really care and want to make a difference, but once they get into the profession they begin to understand just how much work it entails. I think you are going about it the right way; be there for the kids. That is exactly what they need; someone to help them and be there for them and show them they are cared about. Being there for your students will definitely go along way in getting them to trust you and want to do whatever they can to make you proud of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ray,
    It sounds like you are headed in the right direction. I agree with michelle, getting to know your students is very important. Finding out how they learn and what motivates them can make a huge difference in your classroom. Another thing I have found is collaborating with teachers and sharing lesson plans can be of great help. Finding new ideas and new ways of teaching may be difficult at first but in the long run it can refresh you and your students. Good luck in the future.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ray,

    I can totally relate to what you're saying. Taking on this masters has caused me to experience many of the things you mentioned in your post. I know that this masters program will inevitably make me a better teacher, but having the drive to work hard and put my best into my work for this class is a challenge especialy when I have hundreds of things going on in my classroom, this class, and at home. However, like you said, I know that the hard work will pay off and, in the end, make me a better teacher and leader. It's nice to hear that others are experiencing the same things. It somehow makes it easier to persevere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really respect your desire to improve yourself, and I think you're setting a great example by starting with making yourself more available to your students. It's not always easy to do that, considering the massive amount of other professional and personal responsibilities that fill our days. However, I think that by forming a connection with students, some of the other tasks that may seem so daunting may become easier or disappear altogether. A student who knows she is valued and respected by a teacher will want to be around that teacher. They will be motivated to work harder due to that connection and sense of respect. Thanks for sharing your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think maybe one of the most important parts of becoming a better teacher is simply having the desire to do so. Once you feel complacent and that you have everything figured out, that is the exact moment that you will become a drain on the tax payers money. Stay hungry and keep moving forward, step by step. I remember when I was first starting out and it does seem like there is so much to learn. I had a professor tell me before I graduated, just pick one unit a year that you are going to work on and be proud of, when you do that every year it doesn't take long before things really start falling into place. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete